Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Writing Groove


As I told you a little while ago I was on a writing hiatus. Taking that time to deal with “real life” had unexpected dividends. Coming back to writing was something I dreaded, since even little breaks kill my momentum. Turns out that this craft can still surprise me. Since I’ve come back I’ve written more, and of a better quality, then I have in years. The last time I had this kind of output was when I dedicated myself to writing completely. In many ways I’ve been doing that now, although not to the same extent. Like, I still talk to people. And exercise.

So I’m suddenly in the best place I’ve been in years, and it scares the crap out of me. Starting for the day isn’t hard. Once I get going I pound out thousands of words. When editing I get the feel of the scene and what it’s missing faster. At this rate I can actually see myself being able to keep up with output needed of a professional writer.

So why now? My personal theory is that it probably has something to do with being mentally and emotionally healthy and taking care of myself. For the first time in a really long time I’ve actually been making myself stop when I’m overwhelmed. Not letting my fears get the better of me but not ignoring them either. Dealing with problems instead running away from them. Noticing when I get too tired, not putting impossible demands, etc.

I don’t know if this wonderful, amazing ease will last forever. But I really, really hope it does.

1 comment:

  1. Jealous! I wish I could pound out thousands of words in one sitting! :)

    ReplyDelete