Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Jennavier Recommends: The Soul of Money by Lynne Twist



I’m pretty sure you didn’t think you’d see a self help book on this blog! I didn’t either. But when a book is amazing what else can I do but recommend it to you?



Sometimes a book comes at exactly the right time. I found the Soul of Money as a footnote in Brene Brown’s excellent book The Gifts of Imperfection. Knowing my own struggles in my relationship with money it seemed like an excellent book to read. My problem was that I’m wary of self-help books. I’ve found that I’m easily swayed by a persuasive speaker, even when the message isn’t that great. Luckil this time I picked quality.


http://www.lynnetwist.com/the-soul-of-money-book-and-audio-course/

The Soul of Money talks about the thing we’re afraid to talk about- how and when money is an extension of ourselves. Twist challenges the prevailing wisdom of money and gently shows the reader that more isn’t always better. I especially love how she debunks the myth of scarcity by showing that there really is enough to go around. She challenges readers to approach the world with the mentality of sufficiency to guide them. Sufficiency means having enough for our needs and not constantly focused on having more. I loved the perspective of kindness I saw here. She has compassion for those who have nothing but also for those who have everything. She tells us the truth about how money can’t solve all our problems, but living true to our principles can.



Twist’s book is about money, but it can apply to so many other things as well. For me it targeted not just my fear that I would never have enough money, but gave me the ability to see how my fear of living without love is hobbling me. I didn’t feel bludgeoned by her message. The words were kind as well as profound. It left me not only seeing money in a different light but also with the hope that I can teach myself better habits.



If you’re curious about different ways of living, you should absolutely check out this book.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it wasn't bludgeoning - I hate when books do that. Glad it helped you!

    ReplyDelete